Monday, March 10, 2008

my LSS

I went to my favorite Local Scrapbook Store (LSS) yesterday. They have reduced their retail space and class/scrap space by about half. They have a lot less product, but they are making it work - and I hope they stick through it! A lot of stores are closing right now - and it showed at CHA Winter (no lines, no waiting).

Between the downturn in the economy and the adoption of scrapbooking by big chain stores like Target... The LSSs have a lot to compete against. I think that the big brands product we all love can help, though. They can offer smaller lines, spread out their releases, and look for ways to reduce their prices. The demand just isn't there like it used to be.

As an example, SEI is helping out retailers with a great credit program for older products that aren't moving - that's a great way to help the LSS and online stores clear out the older stuff without taking a huge hit.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SCRAP STORE! Of course, I buy many staples at discount stores... I need to save money, too. But when I scrap at the LSS, I consider it "entertainment," and I allocate some money I'll spend to pay for that cost. I buy products there that I know I can't find at the discount chains.

No comments: